Explore our promoted experiences
- San Francisco food tour and Alcatraz combo
- Dive into San Francisco food culture on a food tour of the Ferry Building and Farmers' Market
- Sample foods from popular local purveyors
- Indulge in handmade chocolates and macarons
- Spend your afternoon exploring Alcatraz, San Francisco's premier attraction
- Learn about infamous island with the award-winning 'Cellhouse Audio Tour'
Why Travelers Choose This Tour
Departure & Return
We will meet in front of the historic steps in the front of the ferry building, underneath the clock tower. Your guide will be holding a canvas tote with Edible Excursions printed on it.
What To Expect
As you stroll, you may see some of the city's most-revered chefs buying fresh produce to serve at their restaurants that evening. Taste artisan chocolates from Recchiuti, fresh-baked bread from ACME Bread Company, award-winning cheeses from Cowgirl Creamery, Out the Door's fresh Vietnamese spring rolls, and more!
After your culinary tour, get directions to Pier 33 and stroll down the Embarcadero to catch the ferry to Alcatraz. Onboard, enjoy the sights of the Golden Gate Bridge, the Bay Bridge, and the city's receding skyline on the way out.
Arrive at Alcatraz, a former federal prison that's now a National Park and get a brief orientation to the maximum-security facility, which operated from 1934 to 1963. Pick up your self-guided audio tour, available in several languages, and start exploring. Listen to commentary from former staff and inmates and learn about the stints that famous inmates like Machine Gun Kelly and Al Capone served.
Spend as long as you like exploring Alcatraz, then hop back on the ferry, which departs regularly, for the ride back to the city.
- Confirmation will be received within 48 hours of booking, subject to availability
- As of July 27, 2021, we are only accepting new bookings from guests that are fully vaccinated for the Covid-19 virus. Proof of vaccination will be required at the time of tour unless an accommodation has been approved by Edible Excursions.
- All traveler names are required at time of booking. Failure to provide this information will result in cancellation of your tour. All travelers over 18 MUST have photo I.D.
- Please advise any specific dietary requirements in the "Special Requirements" box at time of booking
- If excursion fails to meet minimum enrollment (total of 4 guests), Edible Excursions will contact guests 10 days in advance to reschedule or offer a refund.
- All food tastings are subject to change depending on availability
- Children 0-4 years are free provided they will not be eating on the food tour. Alcatraz tickets are free for ages 0-4 years
- Alcatraz ferry tickets departure are typically at 12:30pm. Departure timing may change depending on availability. If this is the case, you will be notified of the new time by Edible Excursions on the day of the tour.
- Alcatraz audio tour is available in English, Spanish, German, French, Italian, Japanese, Dutch, Mandarin, Portuguese and Korean
- Alcatraz is steep and hilly. A moderate amount of walking is involved, so comfortable walking shoes are recommended
- Wheelchair accessible
- Stroller accessible
- Service animals allowed
- Near public transportation
- Transportation is wheelchair accessible
- Surfaces are wheelchair accessible
- You may depart Alcatraz Island at any time; ferries depart every 30-40 minutes
- Most travelers can participate
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 10 travelers
- OPERATED BY Edible Excursions
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund.
- This experience requires a minimum number of travelers. If it’s canceled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/experience or a full refund.
Learn more about cancellations.
- Face masks required for travelers in public areas
- Face masks required for guides in public areas
- Temperature checks for travelers upon arrival
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Regularly sanitized high-traffic areas
- Gear/equipment sanitized between use
- Transportation vehicles regularly sanitized
- Contactless payments for gratuities and add-ons
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- Regular temperature checks for staff
- "We loved the Alcatraz portion of the tour - so worth it!" See review