Petit Champlain District (Quartier Petit Champlain)
The Petit Champlain District is home to what is thought to be the oldest commercial street in North America: Rue du Petit Champlain. The street’s original purpose as a place for meeting and commerce continues today. Visitors can stop for lunch or coffee at one of the cafés, browse for unique souvenirs in the boutiques and galleries, and explore the historic past of the city. The area is popular among visitors and a regular stop on guided tours of Quebec City.
Things to Know Before You Go
The streets in Petit Champlain and narrow and cobbled and may be difficult to navigate for people with limited mobility.
Keep an eye out for the huge trompe l'oeil mural at 102 Rue du Petit-Champlain, which illustrates the different stages of Quebec’s history.
Take the Breakneck Steps from Petit Champlain to Quebec City’s Lower Town.
How to Get There
Petit Champlain is a largely pedestrian area, best accessed by foot from other parts of the city. Guided walking and bike tours explore the area daily.
When to Get There
The shops and cafés in Petit Champlain are open every day. In the summer months, outdoor terrasses make the restaurants especially pleasant, while the run up to Christmas means festive lights and decorations and a special atmosphere.
Explore the Quebec Countryside on the Train de Charlevoix
From June to October, daily tourist trains make the journey up the St. Lawrence river from Quebec City to Malbaie. Winding along the river’s edge, through open fields and narrow tunnels, visitors will get a sense of the scale and beauty of this huge province from their comfortable vantage point inside the train.
- Quebec Lower Town (Basse-Ville)
- Old Quebec (Vieux-Québec)
- Quebec Royal Square (Place-Royale)
- Notre-Dame-des-Victoires Church (Église Notre-Dame-des-Victoires)
- Fort Museum (Musée du Fort)
- Upper Town (Haute-Ville)
- Notre-Dame de Québec Basilica-Cathedral
- Museum of Francophone America (Musée de l'Amérique Francophone)
- Quebec Museum of Civilization (Musée de la Civilisation)
- Citadel of Quebec (Citadelle de Quebec)
- Port of Quebec (Port de Québec)
- Fortifications of Quebec National Historic Site
- Dufferin Terrace (Terrasse Dufferin)
- Quebec City Old Port (Vieux-Port)
- Plains of Abraham (Plaines d'Abraham)