Fort Museum (Musée du Fort)
Visits to Musée du Fort begin with a brief introduction by a guide followed by a 30-minute light and sound show that chronicles the gripping tales of sieges on the fort during the American Revolution. With the help of an intricate, 400-square-foot (37-square-meter) diorama, you’ll learn about legendary figures who once resided in Quebec City. Make sure to keep your eyes and ears open: Tours end with an interactive quiz game and the chance to win a prize.
Things to Know Before You Go
Musée du Fort is ideal for history buffs and families.
Shows are in both French and English.
The museum has a boutique that sells books in English and French, military- and Québec-themed souvenirs, and collectible items.
Musée du Fort is not accessible to wheelchair users.
How to Get There
Musée du Fort is conveniently located on Fort Street (Rue Fort) across from the Château Frontenac. The most convenient way to get there is to park at the base of the hill (Basse-Ville) and take the funicular up to Haute-Ville.
When to Get There
The museum is open from 11am to 4pm November through April, and 10am to 5pm May through October. Shows in English are typically presented on the hour and in French on the half hour.
The Sieges of Québec
For hundreds of years Québec City served as the epicenter of colonial tensions between First Nations, France, Britain, and eventually the American colonies. Musée du Fort tells the gripping story of the many sieges on the Québec fortress that resulted in the loss of French control in 1759—a defining moment that established Britain as the major power in North America and contributed to the outbreak of the American Revolution.
- Old Quebec (Vieux-Québec)
- Notre-Dame de Québec Basilica-Cathedral
- Museum of Francophone America (Musée de l'Amérique Francophone)
- Quebec Royal Square (Place-Royale)
- Quebec Lower Town (Basse-Ville)
- Notre-Dame-des-Victoires Church (Église Notre-Dame-des-Victoires)
- Petit Champlain District (Quartier Petit Champlain)
- Upper Town (Haute-Ville)
- Quebec Museum of Civilization (Musée de la Civilisation)
- Port of Quebec (Port de Québec)
- Citadel of Quebec (Citadelle de Quebec)
- Dufferin Terrace (Terrasse Dufferin)
- Quebec City Old Port (Vieux-Port)
- Fortifications of Quebec National Historic Site
- Plains of Abraham (Plaines d'Abraham)